Think of it as an extreme makeover?


Me: Chapter 1! Do you like the changes? 

Chapter 1: I don't know...

Me: Well, let's look at the scenes...

Chapter 1: The first one is missing.

Me: That wasn't really a scene. It was supplimental material that lacked suffecient oomph for an opening and didn't say anything we couldn't establish stronger with fewer words later.

Chapter 1: I guess... I don't recognize what you're calling Scene 1 at all.

Me: It's new.

Chapter 1: You said this was a revision, not a rewrite?

Me: It is! But not that scene. This scene is punchier, follows one of the main charecters and not his sister (what was up with that?), and clocks in with fewer words.

Chapter 1: Good? I suppose... Scene 2 seems familiar, but not?

Me: Scene 2 has the same synopsis as the old one. But I changed a detail that altered the entire tone, so it was easier to rewrite from scratch.

Chapter 1: I guess that makes sense. What happened with Scene 3, though? It looks like you cut half of it one day, then erased the other half the next day? And the day after that, you wrote a completely different scene?

Me: Yeah, so we had a scene that successfully introduced the third member of our triad, but it was just him cleaning stuff and fretting. So I cut half of it for being flat-out boring. Then I realized what was left was still too passive. Then I replaced that with more activity, a conversation with a friend (thus establishing he HAS friends, which wasn't clear until halfway through the last draft), and a more effective way of demonstrating that polyamory is the social norm here without feeling preachy about it.

Chapter 1: You really think the switch does all that? I mean, I see where you added the friend, but the polyamory bit is better now? You use more words. I thought you were cutting words.

Me: I'm trying to. But the old way was a lot of telling and this is more showing. And overall, the scene is slightly shorter.

Chapter: Huh. Okay.

Me: So, did any of that help you feel better about the changes?

Chapter 1: Meh. I guess I'll get used to them.

Me: I was hoping for a more positive response, but I'll take it.

Comments