Saturday, December 22, 2012

I'd Rather Not Be Dead!


I am very pleased to announce that I'd Rather Not Be Dead is now available pretty much everywhere
you can buy books! Or will be soon. It takes a little while for titles to trickle through all of the channels.

Should you buy a copy of the book (or, um, otherwise obtain it), you will see that it is dedicated to my mom. It's her book nearly as much as it's mine because she's the one who kept pushing me to love it even when things looked their grimmest and I was wondering why I'd ever written the first draft of the thing to start with. And I am very glad she did, because re-reading it now, I love it too! (For more on that, see my blog entry My Mom Loves My Novel.)

It's easy to get discouraged as a writer. If you knew me years ago, you know I shopped this book around a lot trying to find an agent. I had a lot of nibbles, but at the end of the day they all said, "This is a good book, but I'm not right for it. I'm sure you'll find someone else." Or that dreaded, "I liked it! But I didn't love it." It's really, really hard to hear that over and over without going mad. Eventually, I decided my poor little book just wasn't worth loving. My mom was one of the people who helped me see that I was wrong.

This isn't the exact same book I showed to the agents. I did another round of editing and a lot of sentence level tweaking. I wasn't tempted to shop it around again though. I've decided I like being indie and don't want to be accountable to people other than my readers. And my mom. :)

If you want to give it a read and see if you agree with my ever-wise mother, it's available from SmashwordsAmazon, and Createspace, among other locations. I'll have a way to sell signed versions up soon, but if you're impatient for one, feel free to email me. Also, if you have a review blog and are interested in a complimentary review copy, I'd be thrilled to talk to you.

1 comment:

Jennifer Chow said...

Hi Andy,
I hear you about the rejections from agents who like your work but don't love it.
So sweet that your mom supported you and that you dedicated your book to her.