Monday, November 14, 2011

Kickstarter, Week One

So, PRIDE, PREJUDICE, AND CURLING ROCKS has been on Kickstarter for a week now and has reached one third of its funding goal.

During that week, it has been repeatedly brought to my attention that some people don't actually know what Kickstarter is. ::gasp:: Sadness! I love Kickstarter and my family has got some really great things off there. In fact, last week we received a new game called Road to Canterbury via their Kickstarter project, and it has the potential to be one of my favorite games. It's certainly the best new one I've played in a while... Plus, I get to say that I helped make a game based on The Canterbury Tales happen, which I think is worth quite a bit.

But I ramble and even digress. What Kickstarter is, for those who don't know, is a platform for crowd-funding projects. I'm using it to help cover some of my start-up expenses for publishing my book. (Editing, cover design, ISBN registration, bar code purchase, etc, etc, add up to a lot more than the $600 goal, but I wanted to minimize my risk of falling short.) Should you chose to offer your financial help, Kickstarter will send you to Amazon payments. If the project succeeds, your credit card will be charged and I'll jump into action to get your rewards to you by Christmas. (And maybe Hanukkah. Certainly before the end of Hanukkah if you're in the US or Canada...) Should the project fail, no one owes anyone anything. Your card won't be charged, I won't get to make you bookmarks or jewelry, and...

Honestly, the book will still come out. But not for another month or three because I can't just cancel my kiddo's Christmas to pay to publish my book. And, of course, there will likely be tears and wailing and all sorts of negativity that I'm sure you don't want to inflict on me or my family.

Many people have told me that they're planning to donate, but later. I'm not sure why they're putting it off as they're not going to be charged until the end of the month either way. But I do wish they'd go ahead and pledge if they're going to because the more activity a project has, the higher it gets on the site and the more likely people who don't know me are to be exposed to it. That's not the sort of thing people who haven't had projects like this really think about.

Donating through Kickstarter does involve registering with the site and I think I under-estimated how unwilling people are to do that, but I've never gotten spam from Kickstarter and there are a lot of other worthy projects there. If you're sick of corporations owning the arts, this a good place to monitor even if you don't want to help me with my book.

If you haven't checked it out yet, my project is here and if you have any questions I haven't answered either here or on the project site, please ask them! If you have a question, odds are someone else does to!

No comments: