Wednesday, October 12, 2011

NaNo 2011

So, last year I sort of skipped NaNo for a variety of reasons discussed here. I say sort of because I did work on a shorter project with my son. But... Well, we started off "behind schedule" due to a trip and that made me tense enough that we never really had as much fun as we should have been having. Possibly because I thought we should have a schedule in the first place.

That sounds like I'm down on NaNo, but I'm not. The schedule just didn't work for what my son and I wanted to do. It works for other things, like encouraging a single author to push out a heck of a lot of words (IE, its goal).

Last night, I slept about two hours. One of the things I thought about while I wasn't sleeping was NaNo. A year ago, I said I didn't need NaNo to finish a rough draft. But guess how many rough drafts I've finished since then. If you guessed zero, go grab a cookie. How many did I start? Um... At least three. Plus my serial, but I'm not "supposed" to have finished that yet.

Not that I haven't done anything all year. I completed several revisions of PRIDE, PREJUDICE, AND CURLING ROCKS and got started on that whole indie-publishing thing. So it's been a good year. But...

Anyway, I posted last night (um... this morning) on G+ that I was going to do NaNo again this year.

My beloved commented, "Blerh!"

Don't start thinking I married an unsupporting jerk though, because I most definitely did not. He's just worried about me because NaNo traditionally brings out my obsessive side. And I do mean the kind of unhealthy obsession that leads to not eating, not bathing, not talking to anyone for weeks straight kind of stuff.

I really don't think it's going to be as bad this year though. He's thinking about my first NaNo, which I plunged into without an outline and had to get out fast because I was dying to know what happened. This time, I have...

What I have is nearly 400,000 words of something I love but which is so cluttered and drawn out and poorly paced that I don't have a clue how to start revising it. So... I'm retelling it. This time instead of first person present, I'll be doing an epistolary novel (fancy speak for journal entries) and the old draft will be just a really long and detailed outline.

If it goes well, my plan is to use the NaNo project as my next serial. That way I can focus on the new curling novel without having to switch back and forth between WIPs. (I also plan to finish the current serial by the end of the year.)

So, stay tuned and wish me luck! :)

No comments: