Sunday, June 13, 2010

See You in September...

I slid smoothly from the hack, balanced and confident I'd gotten the weight right. It was a big contrast from the deliveries in my first game, when my knee slammed onto the ice so hard and so often that I had a bruise covering the entire thing for two weeks.

The rock glided down the sheet, right on target. It landed exactly where I'd been asked to put it.

I'd gotten better over the season, but not by enough that I wasn't pleasantly surprised.

I didn't shoot anywhere near one hundred per cent in my final game of spring league curling, but my weight was more consistent than ever before. Weight, for the non-curlers reading this, is what determines how far down the ice the rock has the potential to go. The sweepers can affect ultimate position by many feet but sweeping alone can't take a rock thrown far too light into play and it certainly can't keep a rock thrown too heavy from sailing out the back of the house.

Right up to the end of the league, I improved just a little every game. And while I'm still a very inexperienced novice player, I do feel like I've grown a lot over the last few weeks. (There was even some talk that I outplayed my beloved in that last game. He claims it wasn't the first time, though he's had many more impressive shots than I have.)

I will be back in fall, though it might not be easy. The club's two hours away and getting there involves going over a mountain pass that is prone to seasonal closures. But the beloved and I are determined. And, well, we bought a broom. So.... :)



I'm very sad the league is over, both because I had a lot of fun and because it leaves me one less activity during summer. Summer is a hard time of year for me. My solar allergies keep me locked inside and, honestly, I have difficulty thinking straight if the temperature is above seventy. That's a problem since I feel it would be highly irresponsible of me to set my thermostat quite that low. Losing my nice building full of ice until fall is a blow.

I'd like to tell you that I'm going to spend the next few months being incredibly productive, but historically summer is my least productive time of year. Like I said, I have a hard time thinking when it's too warm. And everyone has a hard time doing much of anything when they're depressed, which being trapped inside tends to do to humans.

I'm nearing the end of my curling novel's rough draft. I have a list of things to revise before letting betas look at it, then I'm sure I'll have a new list. I have other things to revise. I have new things that want to be written. Maybe the memory of ice will motivate me enough. We'll see...

No comments: