Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Naming of Names

So the winner of the New Name for SHADOW poll was... Write in candidate I'D RATHER NOT BE DEAD. There was a discussion about this over on my Facebook page with people arguing both in favor of and against the inclusion of 'not' in the title. I was against it. "I'd rather be dead," is something I can hear my main character say. It conveys her voice better than any other title I've ever considered. But then a friend of mine made the graphic below and I said, "OH!" It works perfectly!


Sadly, saying that I want the title to look like that is probably a cover choice and hence not something I'm supposed to be expressing at this point. Which bugs me because if 'not' isn't shoved in like an afterthought I still don't like it all that much. But I can stand putting it there because I do agree with the people who maintained it makes you go "Huh?" and maybe look twice.

So, I hereby announce that The Novel Formerly Known As SHADOW is now to be known as I'D RATHER NOT BE DEAD.

Now... Can I think of something I like better than PRIDE, PREJUDICE, AND CURLING ROCKS for the work I'm editing this week..?

1 comment:

Jimmy said...

Iced.

Sweeping House.

Clean Sweep.

Burned.

I could go on for a long time, but I fear I'm being predictable.